Live from the Live Better recording studio! Bret and Jason are here this week with Maggie Michalczyk (@onceuponapumpkin), a registered dietitian and recipe developer specializing in millennial nutrition. Listen in as Maggie goes into detail sharing her entrepreneurial journey becoming a registered dietitian, her philosophy around nutrition and ever-evolving relationship with food. Maggie talks about her mission, going back to the basics and simplifying nutrition, helping others implement sustained and constant nutrition into their everyday lives, giving them the knowledge on why food is important for their body.
Maggie’s love of food and nutrition is showcased on her blog, as well as her desire to communicate health messages in a simple way that any one can utilize in their everyday lives. Maggie often contributes to many wellness outlets including Women’s Health, Shape, mindbodygreen and well + good. She is a frequent guest on The Jam, WGN News, and FOX TV in Chicago. When she’s not cooking something with pumpkin, she’s doing different workout classes around Chicago and going out to eat with her boyfriend, Rob. Oh, and her dog’s name is Pumpkin too!
Try Vital Proteins: Collagen Creamer, Matcha Collagen, + Original Collagen
- [02:00-4:40] - Introducing Maggie Michalczyk, RDN (@onceuponapumpkin)
- [4:45-5:45] - Lifestyle X nutrition choices
- [6:00-6:15] - Pumpkin is available year round!
- [6:30-7:30] - Maggie’s journey prior to @onceuponapumpkin + working in PR with food brands
- [7:40-8:30] - First pumpkin personal business project in the Fall with Simple Mills
- [8:30-10:00] - How Maggie met Bret Gornik + Jason Loebig
- [11:00-12:40] - Maggie’s projects (Instagram, Recipe Books, TV Appearances, Nutrition Courses/Philosophy, Dietitians Connecting with Brands)
- [12:40-13:50] - Pushing nutritional message beyond pumpkin X Maggie’s nutritional philosophy
- [14:37-15:33] - Misconceptions on nutrition, people are quick to eliminate food groups (i.e. gluten and dairy free) + eating for longevity
- [16:30-17:20] - What is the food industry moving towards? That you are moving away from? Food brands attaching to supplements and integrating with products
- [17:30-18:15] -Plant based brands + products + education behind it and how others can adopt it in their lives
- [19:00-20:45] - Thought of what you are eating, how and why you are eating it and your relationship with food
- [20:50-22:45] - Toxic relationship with food + learning about your nutrition, relationship with food is evolving, stop associating good and bad foods, bring back to basics and have fun with it!
- [26:00-28:30] - Research journals, credible information on food, Mind Body Green
- [29:30-30:30] - Foods for starting point for others looking to try a new healthy recipe, healthy grain bowl and adding greens with whatever you are eating
- [35:30-38:15]: Maggie’s Live Better Retreat reflection and her “Best Day Ever” mindset
- 39:00]: For more information on Maggie, visit onceuponapumpkinrd.com and @onceuponapumpkin on Instagram
Learn more about Vital and their products here.