Live from the Live Better recording studio! Bret and Jason are here this week on the Live Better podcast with Megan Young , who is in her 2nd year as High Performance Director of the Chicago Red Stars. With formal education in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Adult Education, and Information Systems-Data Science and coaching from UNCW, Baylor University and Auburn University, Megan remains a life learner across new disciplines and continues to innovate within her field.
Listen in as Bret, Jason and Megan discuss movement, mobility, rate and force development, emotional management in athletes (and more!) and Megan’s innovative approach in her field.
Try incorporating Beam CBD into your routine using code 'LIVE BETTER'
- [04:00-5:10] - About Megan Young
- [5:15-8:00] - Serving each individual athlete + fitness testing
- [8:30-10:15] - Force plate testing/profile + the importance of collecting data
- [10:15-11:00] - Taking care of your feet, David Goggins + “running a marathon and everything is broken”
- [11:30 - 12:15 ] - Rate of force development, jumping and landing
- [12:45 - 13:15] - Force velocity curve, training different profiles
- [13:15 - 17:05] - For the everyday individual, what is the most important data to track?
- [17:05 - 18:30] - Sleep + nutrition, Jocko Willink vs. person who needs 8 hours of sleep, high performing individuals on the world
- [19:00 - 23:00] - Emotional management in athletes, the perfect plan you never follow is useless
- [24:00 - 25:00] - To get to that next level, they have to stop saying YES to the easy thing, and accepting hard things thrown at you in life
- [25:00 - 26:45] - Seeking out discomfort that works - with pattern recognition
- [27:12 - 31:00] - Megan’s morning routine
- [32:26 - 33:30] Megan’s cancer journey and the importance of systematic support
- [33:30 - 36:00] Pain - cancer treatment, car wreck, emotional trauma + creating a space specifically for pain
- [37:30 - 40:00] Jason’s pain tracker + chronic migraines
- [44:15 - 44:30] Do something different, get a different input, get a different output to make a change to be who you want to be
- [45:40 - 47:45] Megan’s Best Day Ever! Purpose, water, training, surfing, sunlight, taking mornings slow!
- [48:00 - 48:48] Connect with Megan on Instagram (coach_megastrong) + Email and listen to more of her story here
- [49:00] - Learn more about Beam here, THC-CBD to elevate your everyday